NBA Draft Updates
By: Ace Liburd (Twitter: @Aaronteed)
Major NBA Trades:
- Dec. 2nd The Houston Rockets traded PG- Russell Westbrook to the Washington Wizards for PG –John Wall and a future 1st round pick. Both players have 3 years and over 100 million left on their contracts.
- Nov 16th Oklahoma City Thunder traded PG- Chris Paul and forward Abdel Nader to Phoenix Suns in exchange for PG- Ricky Rubio, G- Ty Jerome, G-Jalen Lecque, SF- Kelly Oubre and a Protected 2022 first-round pick.
- Dallas Mavericks traded G- Seth Curry to Philadelphia 76ers for G- Josh Richardson and the draft rights to 2nd round pick F- Tyler Bey.
- Oklahoma City Thunder traded G- Dennis Schroederto Los Angeles Lakers for G-Danny Green and the draft rights to 1st round #28 draft pick F-Jaden McDaniels
- Los Angeles Clippers completed a three-team trade with the Detroit Pistons and Brooklyn Nets.
a: Clippers gets Pistons G Luke Kennard, Pistons C Justin Patton, the draft rights to 2nd round pick F- Jayden Scrubb and four second-round draft picks.
b. Brooklyn gets Clippers G- Landry Shamet, Pistons guard Bruce Brown and the draft rights to 2nd round pick F- Reggie Perry.
c. Detroit gets the draft rights to 1st round #19 draft Pick G- Saddiq Bey, Clippers G- Rodney McGruder, Nets forward Dzanan Musa, a 2nd round draft pick and the draft rights to Jaylen Hands.
- Nov 22nd Golden State Warriors gets: Kelly Oubre Jr. the Oklhoma City Thunder get: a Protected first-round 2021 Draft pick and a Second-round 2021 Draft pick (via Denver)
- Nov 23rd Cleveland Cavaliers get: C JaVale McGee and the LA Lakers gets: F Alfonzo McKinnie and F/Jordan Bell
- Nov. 24th a four-team trade between the Pelicans, Bucks, Nuggets and Thunder in 4-team deal.
- New Orleans Pelicans gets: C- Steven Adams and G- Eric Bledsoe, Two future second-round picks from the Bucks, Right to swap two additional first-round picks with Bucks
- Milwaukee Bucks gets: G- Jrue Holiday Sam Merrill (60th overall pick in 2020)
- Denver Nuggets gets: G- R.J. Hampton (24th overall pick in 2020)
- Oklahoma City Thunder gets: G- George Hill, Zylan Cheatham, Josh Gray, Darius Miller, Kenrich Williams, Future first-round pick from Nuggets, 2023 second-round pick from Pelicans (via Wizards), 2024 second-round pick from Pelicans (via Hornets).
- Atlanta Hawks get: Danilo Gallinari and Cash considerations and Oklahoma City Thunder get: a Protected 2025 second-round pick
- Nov 27th A Three team deal with Detroit, Oklahoma city and Dallas
- Detroit Pistons get: G- Delon Wright
- Oklahoma City Thunder gets: G- Trevor Ariza and F- Justin Jackson, a 2023 second-round pick (from either Dallas or Miami) and a 2026 second-round pick.
- Dallas Mavericks get: James Johnson
- Nov 29th The Charlotte Hornets get F- Gordon Hayward and Two future second-round picks Boston Celtics get Conditional future second-round pick
NBA Draft and Upcoming Season
The NBA season is expected to start on December 22nd much earlier than fans had initially expected January 18th on MLK day. This would have shortened the season to less than 70 games and not giving players from all countries time to transition to their Olympic teams for the postponed 2020 Tokyo games. This will be the first time summer games are to be held in Asia since the 2008 Beijing games. The league is expected to vote on this sometime in November.
The NBA draft is expected to take place on Wednesday, November 18th for all of the NFL fans whose teams are out of playoffs contention, this will give you something to pay attention to again. The order and mock draft are as follows:
1 Minnesota: G La melo Ball 6-7
2 Golden State: C James Wiseman 7-1
3 Charlotte: SG Anthony Edwards 6-5
4 Chicago: PG Cole Anthony 6-3
5 Cleveland: F Deni Avdija 6-9
6 Atlanta: F/C Obi Toppin 6-9
7 Detroit: G Tyrese Haliburton 6-5
8 New York: G Killian Hayes 6-5
9 Washington: F/C Onyeka Okongwu 6-9
10 Phoenix: G Issac Okoro 6-6
11 San Antonio: PF Precious Achiuwa 6-9
12 Sacramento: SG Devin Vassell 6-6
13 New Orleans: SF Aaron Nesmith 6-6
14 Boston Via Memphis: SF Patrick Williams 6-8
The teams covered are the ones that didn’t actually play in the playoffs and I covered the 14th spot as it is usually the last lottery pick taken. Free agency is taking place on the same day as the draft, so expect the deal making to take place as soon as possible. The above mock draft selections are based on the belief that deals will be made for players. These new players will find roles on their new teams as player salaries will be very important to all teams over the next two seasons. Especially since we still don’t know if fans will be allowed to attend games in person at arenas yet and the appetite to do so without a vaccine readily available.
The NBA Draft itself is going to take place virtually on ESPN as the league is still trying to make its TV partners happy. This follows the NFL and college football ratings lag during the first 8 weeks of their respective seasons. All major sports leagues are finding it harder to draw consistent ratings as they had in previous years regardless of the quality play on the field. Most are down between 9- 15% .